Saturday, June 28, 2008

Wall-E

I saw Wall-E yesterday, and the first thing that I want to say is how blown away I was by it. There is of course a long standing tradition of just how the apocalypse will go down in science fiction, but Wall-E managed to create a vision that was simultaneously 1) not a simple retread of a Twilight Zone episode, 2) horrible, 3) funny, 4) suitable for children. Not an easy task!

Computer animation techniques are still improving. Especially noticeable in this movie was the use of focus to emulate a camera operator frantically trying to capture the action as it unfolded (example: the scene with the shopping carts.)

I can only imagine Pixar greenlit this film before they were sure they would remain part of Disney: The irony of a giant multinational corporation like Disney bankrolling and promoting such an aggressively anticorporate film added an extra layer of mirth to the film for me.

No comments: