Friday, December 19, 2008

Christmas vacation

Merry Christmas vacation!

Is there any happier time of year to travel than the Friday before Christmas when much of the country is under a snowstorm? Of course not! I think the extra three hours of waiting for my flight brought myself and my fellow passengers closer together as people, and bonded us in only the way extreme boredom can.

Unfortunately, my Mom and Don have been delayed as well. What once was a hope of a 10:30 pm arrival has morphed into a 12:55 am projected arrival by Southwest. So I was left to brazen the neon lights of Downtown Disney by myself this Friday. Fortunately, at the Lego store, I survived this brief encounter with Lego Santa Claus.

Dinner was at T-Rex, a fun family restaurant in the vein of Rainforest Cafe, but with dinosaurs. Each room was decorated differently, from the fiery caves near the kitchen to an Ice Age room and the tropical room I dined in. Every twenty minutes or so the asteroid hit, and a good time was had by all.

By the way, I immensely enjoyed my flight on Southwest once it got underway. Their flight attendants actually look happy to be flying, which goes a long way even on a short trip. Add to that their comfy seats and enlightened boarding procedure, and they remain one of my favorite carriers.

No comments: