Saturday, December 6, 2008

Ueno Park

On Friday, the first conference that I am attending here in Japan, the International Association for Statistical Computing 4th World Conference, is starting up. But before heading to Yokohama, I had one last morning of sightseeing in Tokyo.

I headed over to Ueno Park. This was the first place I saw families in abundance, it seemed to be a popular place to spend a day with small children. In particular, the Zoo was a great attraction to the under 3 crowd. And myself of course. Go figure.

Anyway, this is a small zoo, but stocked as it was with animals both domestic and international, I found many species native to Japan and Asia that I'd never seen before, such as this Red-crowned Crane.

Afterward, I visited a tiny museum devoted to clocks of the 17th-19th centuries. The museum wasn't great, but the neighborhood it was in was fascinating. Shrines and temples dotted the area, and there were also several cemeteries.

No comments: