Tuesday, December 2, 2008

In search of Mt. Fuji

Today I took the Sunrise Tours "Mt. Fuji and Hakone 1-day by Motorcoach" excursion. It started off great, the pickup from my hotel went well.

Unfortunately, the weather refused to cooperate, and clouds dogged Mt. Fuji for most of the day. We went to the visitor center--nothing. We went to the 1st station at the bottom of the mountain--nothing. We took the gondola ride (each of which held over 100 people) to the top of a neighboring mountain for the spectacular views--nothing. Finally, 40 minutes after we had come down the mountain, the clouds parted and there it was, Mt. Fuji in all its glory. Everyone on the bus was stunned with joy, and excited pictures were taken all around.



I closed the day with a shopping trip around the neighborhood of Ginza station. This neighborhood is very recent, and much like the Times Square area of New York City. I know I barely scratched the surface.

No comments: